An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia

T.m. Indra Mahlia, M. Z. Abdulmuin, T. M.I. Alamsyah, D. Mukhlishien

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

116 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Malaysia and Indonesia are the largest producers of palm oil product. The palm oil industry has contributed the biggest income to the countries for many years. Moreover, palm oils has emerged as one of the most important oils in the world's oils and the market of fats. About 90% of palm oil is used as food related products worldwide, and the other 10% is used for basic raw material for soap. There are more than a hundred palm oil processing mills in the two countries. As such, a lot of savings can be done by using the fiber and shell from the processing wastes as an alternative fuel for electricity generation for this industry. This paper deals with energy conversion from the fiber and shell of the industry wastes as an alternative energy source for the palm oil mill industry in the two countries mentioned. The study concentrates on using the fiber and shell obtained from the processing of palm oil as fuels for the boiler instead of fossil fuel. In addition, the possibility of excess air and fuel air ratio for the fiber and shell combustion process is also discussed. Furthermore, it has been found that the shell and fiber alone can supply more steam and electricity than is required. Some palm oil mills in Malaysia and Indonesia have applied this strategy successfully. The FELDA palm oil mill, with the capacity 30-60 tons FFB/h, in Sungai Tengi, Selangor, Malaysia has been selected for this research.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2109-2118
Number of pages10
JournalEnergy Conversion and Management
Volume42
Issue number18
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 01 Dec 2001

Fingerprint

Palm oil
Industry
Fibers
Electricity
Processing
Soaps (detergents)
Alternative fuels
Air
Oils and fats
Fossil fuels
Energy conversion
Boilers
Raw materials
Steam

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Renewable Energy, Sustainability and the Environment
  • Nuclear Energy and Engineering
  • Fuel Technology
  • Energy Engineering and Power Technology

Cite this

Mahlia, T.m. Indra ; Abdulmuin, M. Z. ; Alamsyah, T. M.I. ; Mukhlishien, D. / An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia. In: Energy Conversion and Management. 2001 ; Vol. 42, No. 18. pp. 2109-2118.
@article{2a2a23fff95240068f3684966e297627,
title = "An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia",
abstract = "Malaysia and Indonesia are the largest producers of palm oil product. The palm oil industry has contributed the biggest income to the countries for many years. Moreover, palm oils has emerged as one of the most important oils in the world's oils and the market of fats. About 90{\%} of palm oil is used as food related products worldwide, and the other 10{\%} is used for basic raw material for soap. There are more than a hundred palm oil processing mills in the two countries. As such, a lot of savings can be done by using the fiber and shell from the processing wastes as an alternative fuel for electricity generation for this industry. This paper deals with energy conversion from the fiber and shell of the industry wastes as an alternative energy source for the palm oil mill industry in the two countries mentioned. The study concentrates on using the fiber and shell obtained from the processing of palm oil as fuels for the boiler instead of fossil fuel. In addition, the possibility of excess air and fuel air ratio for the fiber and shell combustion process is also discussed. Furthermore, it has been found that the shell and fiber alone can supply more steam and electricity than is required. Some palm oil mills in Malaysia and Indonesia have applied this strategy successfully. The FELDA palm oil mill, with the capacity 30-60 tons FFB/h, in Sungai Tengi, Selangor, Malaysia has been selected for this research.",
author = "Mahlia, {T.m. Indra} and Abdulmuin, {M. Z.} and Alamsyah, {T. M.I.} and D. Mukhlishien",
year = "2001",
month = "12",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00166-7",
language = "English",
volume = "42",
pages = "2109--2118",
journal = "Energy Conversion and Management",
issn = "0196-8904",
publisher = "Elsevier Limited",
number = "18",

}

An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia. / Mahlia, T.m. Indra; Abdulmuin, M. Z.; Alamsyah, T. M.I.; Mukhlishien, D.

In: Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 42, No. 18, 01.12.2001, p. 2109-2118.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia

AU - Mahlia, T.m. Indra

AU - Abdulmuin, M. Z.

AU - Alamsyah, T. M.I.

AU - Mukhlishien, D.

PY - 2001/12/1

Y1 - 2001/12/1

N2 - Malaysia and Indonesia are the largest producers of palm oil product. The palm oil industry has contributed the biggest income to the countries for many years. Moreover, palm oils has emerged as one of the most important oils in the world's oils and the market of fats. About 90% of palm oil is used as food related products worldwide, and the other 10% is used for basic raw material for soap. There are more than a hundred palm oil processing mills in the two countries. As such, a lot of savings can be done by using the fiber and shell from the processing wastes as an alternative fuel for electricity generation for this industry. This paper deals with energy conversion from the fiber and shell of the industry wastes as an alternative energy source for the palm oil mill industry in the two countries mentioned. The study concentrates on using the fiber and shell obtained from the processing of palm oil as fuels for the boiler instead of fossil fuel. In addition, the possibility of excess air and fuel air ratio for the fiber and shell combustion process is also discussed. Furthermore, it has been found that the shell and fiber alone can supply more steam and electricity than is required. Some palm oil mills in Malaysia and Indonesia have applied this strategy successfully. The FELDA palm oil mill, with the capacity 30-60 tons FFB/h, in Sungai Tengi, Selangor, Malaysia has been selected for this research.

AB - Malaysia and Indonesia are the largest producers of palm oil product. The palm oil industry has contributed the biggest income to the countries for many years. Moreover, palm oils has emerged as one of the most important oils in the world's oils and the market of fats. About 90% of palm oil is used as food related products worldwide, and the other 10% is used for basic raw material for soap. There are more than a hundred palm oil processing mills in the two countries. As such, a lot of savings can be done by using the fiber and shell from the processing wastes as an alternative fuel for electricity generation for this industry. This paper deals with energy conversion from the fiber and shell of the industry wastes as an alternative energy source for the palm oil mill industry in the two countries mentioned. The study concentrates on using the fiber and shell obtained from the processing of palm oil as fuels for the boiler instead of fossil fuel. In addition, the possibility of excess air and fuel air ratio for the fiber and shell combustion process is also discussed. Furthermore, it has been found that the shell and fiber alone can supply more steam and electricity than is required. Some palm oil mills in Malaysia and Indonesia have applied this strategy successfully. The FELDA palm oil mill, with the capacity 30-60 tons FFB/h, in Sungai Tengi, Selangor, Malaysia has been selected for this research.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0035546339&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0035546339&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00166-7

DO - 10.1016/S0196-8904(00)00166-7

M3 - Article

VL - 42

SP - 2109

EP - 2118

JO - Energy Conversion and Management

JF - Energy Conversion and Management

SN - 0196-8904

IS - 18

ER -